Sandbox politics
The presidental elections started officially on Monday, two weeks before the first round of elections. During these two weeks the 12 candidates who were able to obtain the signatures of 500 mayors in France are now entitled to equal air time to express their views. You can check out some of the candidate's videos here if your interested.
Basically, no one knows who to vote for in this election. Thomas comes home every night with a new favorite candidate. At the playground this afternoon I heard the moms on the other side of the sandbox discussing the election and how everyone they knew would vote Sarkozy or Le Pen. I could have understood this if I had gone to one of the chic public parks where the more well-off families converge but this was at a very working class park in the center. I would have thought that these mothers (mostly French but of North African origin) would have voted for the liberal ticket but their main concerns: immigration, security, and jobs.
With still 45% of the population undecided, the candidates have a lot to prove in the next few days.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home