Aunt Sophie or just Sophie?
Interesting conversation with Thomas at dinner last night... We started talking about what to call the grandparents and the grandaunts and uncles, and got onto the subject of why some family "titles" aren't used in France. Or more precisely, why they aren't used in his family as in all fairness I'll have to do a sondage to find out what other French families do before making generalized assumptions. Thomas said that only the bof's call their tante or oncle by anything but their first name.
I grew up with the idea that my Aunt Fran was always Aunt Fran, never just Fran. In fact, when I was in college I once tried to call my Uncle Jack only by his first name at the dinner table and I can tell you that my slip was followed by a long and heavy silence. I quickly understood his point and, to be honest, I can't imagine ever feeling natural about calling him anything but Uncle. The only family member who escapes this unwritten rule is (Aunt) Denise who has always made her aversion to the title crystal clear.
Boo should end up calling my sister Aunt Zoe and my brother Uncle Patrick, unless they choose the Denise path. But apparently the same doesn't apply for Sophie and David. I've always thought it strange that my nieces don't call me Tante but, then again, the oldest met me before Thomas and I were married and I was just the girlfriend. And really, between family members it's not such a big deal.
*sondage (survey); bof (low-class); tante (aunt); oncle (uncle)

2 Comments:
Your child will definitely call me Aunt Zoe. No Zoe, Zo-Zo, or "that one member of the family who married a gay man for money", just Aunt Zoe.
We'll probaby go with something easy like "Eccentric Aunt Zoe" or "My-sister-that-crazy-old-bat" later in life.
Post a Comment
<< Home