Friday, October 14, 2005

Down Syndrome results

In the 4th month of pregnancy, the doctor's send us for yet another blood test – this time to check for Down Syndrome. Of course it's only 75% sure, but it's still something. This is supposed to be done in addition to measuring the foetus’ nuchal translucency during the first sonogram. If the nuchal translucency measurement and the blood test results both come back as being in the "at risk" category, the doctor suggests an amniocentesis. Boo's sonogram showed him to be in the normal range but the blood test results I won’t have for another 10 days. Of course, at dinner tonight my friend Sandrine (who is exactly one month ahead of me in her second pregnancy) told me that the lab only contacts you in the event of a problem. Otherwise, you yourself hear nothing and only your doctor knows the results. I'm as worried about the health of my baby as the next mother-to-be so, when we got home after dinner and I checked the mail on the entryway table, I freaked when I saw that I had a letter from the lab. I had to read it three times in order to understand that they just wanted to confirm my age and my contact information. Thank goodness! I don’t think I could handle contractions and the idea of an amniocentesis in the span of a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home